How to Prepare for Floods in the UK
Posted by Peta Prescott on
If the unpredictability of the great British weather has taught us one thing, it is to always be prepared for every eventuality. Unfortunately, there are some parts of the UK that are inevitably more susceptible to flooding than others.
Each year, countless regions across the country are devastated by local flooding. There is nothing that can be done to predict or control the weather but preparing for floods with appropriate equipment can at least reduce the risk of damage.
Sandbags, Q Signs and even traffic cones help keep homes, pedestrians and motorists safe from harm.
Traditional vs Contemporary Protection
In terms of protection for homes and businesses, there are two primary flood defence tools available. One of which is traditional sandbags, the other being plastic barriers. Both of which have their advantages and disadvantages, which we will now look at in a little more detail.
Sandbags - The Traditional Choice
A tried, tested and trusted form of defence against flooding, sandbags can be advantageous in the following ways:
- An extremely affordable solution that is easy to use, cheap to buy and convenient to transport.
- Highly effective against flooding when used strategically and efficiently.
- Widely available and easy to get hold of at short notice.
- Can be used on all types of surfaces including inclines where other types of flood defences would not be appropriate.
As for the downsides, there is the inevitable labour required to lift and move the sandbags once filled. In addition, some types of sandbags cannot be reused after being exposed to floodwaters. As they are inexpensive to replace, this isn’t necessarily a deal breaker.
Plastic Barriers – A Contemporary Alternative
A popular alternative to traditional sandbags, plastic flood barriers can also be beneficial in a variety of ways:
- A much more lightweight solution that needs much less manpower and effort in general to set up.
- Flexible deployment options with modular systems that can be used in any configuration, as necessary.
- All types of plastic flood barriers can be reused, adding up to outstanding value for money.
- The components can also often be nested inside one another when not in use, making them convenient to store.
On the downside, most types of plastic barriers are limited to flat and even surfaces only for them to create an effective seal. In addition, they are almost always more expensive to purchase in the first place, which is why some prefer traditional sandbags.
Different Products for Different Requirements
Depending on the nature of the space or property you are looking to protect from flood damage, there are various viable options available. In which case, it’s worth discussing which solution suits your requirements best with an experienced professional.
If you have any questions regarding any of our flood defence hardware or would like to discuss your requirements in more detail, contact a member of the team at Street Solutions UK today.